Panther Pride members rehearse their “Barbie Era” hip hop routine in the Tom Jack Lucas Auditorium. (Photo by CRISTA HERNANDEZ/Lufkin High School Student Media)

By CRISTA HERNANDEZ and DAISY MORAN/Panther Growls News

The theme of this year’s Lufkin High School Panther Pride spring show is “Eras of Us,” an homage to Taylor Swift’s world tour.

“We wanted it to be big and a huge production,” Panther Pride Director Johnna Conrad said, “and her tour is definitely a result of that, so in that sense it’s relatable to it.”

The show will begin at 6 p.m. both Friday and Saturday (April 5-6) in the Tom Jack Lucas Auditorium on the LHS campus. Tickets will be available at the entrance for $10 each. The Panther Pride drill team, JV Drill, LMS Drill Team will perform, along with Panther Pom, LHS Cheer and the Panther Pride Honor Guards.

Panther Pride Capt. Macy McManus practices her “Growing Up Era” solo in the Tom Jack Lucas Auditorium.(Photo by CRISTA HERNANDEZ/Lufkin High School Student Media)

The show differs from previous spring shows because it is a wide-scale performance and incorporates the use of props, stage lighting and acrobatic tricks.

Debbie Hemphill, the JV Drill director, said her squad’s dances could be described as being in the “Vacation” and “Working” eras. She said their dances have an upbeat and fun mood, and that the girls have enjoyed them.

“They worked hard to clean their routines and to put forth a lot of energy and expressions,” she said.

JV Drill member Anna Greenway said her favorite routine is the “Working” era because “the choreography complements the team and showcases our skills.” The JV Drill has a surprise at the end of its “Working” era performance that show attendees should look forward to.

This show will be the first or last spring show for many of the dance team members. Senior Ariel Rivera said she feels remorseful about it being her last time to perform with her teammates, but that she is elated to finally showcase her hard work. She said what she will miss most are the “the bond and relationships” she has built with other members of the team. Greenway, a freshman, said she feels more excited about performing in the spring show as a high school student than when she was in middle school, because the choreography is more challenging.